Friday, February 18, 2011

A Funny Story...

On Tuesday, John headed out of town bright and early for a management meeting, leaving me alone with the kids. After getting the kids out of bed, showered, dressed, fed, and packed up for school we all headed out to the van. We were running a little late but could definitely make it to school before the first bell. The first clue that something wasn't right came when the van didn't unlock with my key fob. I ran back in and got John's keys, thinking the battery in my remote must have died. When John's key didn't work I thought "That's weird for both of them to die at once, but I'll just have deal with it later." I then unlocked the door of the van with the key (not sure the kids even knew you could do that!) and jumped in the van. After a few seconds I noticed the kids hadn't gotten in yet, so I opened the door and asked them what they were doing. They told me "the doors won't open, we can't get in". It was only then that I noticed that the battery was DEAD! No problem right? I have another car. So, I sent Nate in for the keys to the Blazer and we all piled into it. Now, if you've never seen the Blazer you won't understand how difficult that is. The first kid into the Blazer ALWAYS sits in the front seat, leaving the other kids to climb over that first kid like it's a climbing expedition. The climbing had to be done with backpacks dangling this time. Lets just say that the front seat kid got very banged up this time:(

Moving on. I'm sitting in the front seat and I ask Nate for the keys. He hands me this:

Now really, what am I supposed to do with this? There were two little hanging boxes that I'm apparently supposed to connect with these wires to make the Blazer start. Each of the boxes has eight plugs that I could use to connect them. I busted out laughing and then told Nate he needed to help me if we wanted to get the Blazer started and he looked at me in disbelief. He didn't know how to start it either! We were laughing so hard by this time that the girls thought we'd completely lost it. The climbing expedition had to be repeated, this time to get out of the Blazer, because there was NO way we were going to be able to take that vehicle to the school.

We went back to work on the van, hooking up a charger to it to get it started. Our adventure only set us back by about 10 minutes to start to finish, but it sure did make for an exciting day! Nate received his first tardy but the school staff got a good laugh out of our story:)

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

OMGosh! It is funny but I know you must have been frustrated too! Any idea why the van was dead?

surprisetriplets said...

Nate finally admitted that he had found ALL of the lights in the van on. He quickly flipped the switch to turn it off so he wouldn't get in trouble when I got in the car...

Elizabeth said...

Oh my! Too funny! Poor you and poor Nate! LMAO